CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 9, 2008

Not Beyond God . . .

If anyone had a situation that was dire it was the widow from Zarephath. When we meet her in I Kings 17 she is gathering sticks to build a fire, to bake the last of her bread for son and herself "that we may eat it - and die." I Kings 17:12.

There is no more helpless a feeling than not being able to provide for your child. In my days as an early mom I found myself in a serious situation. I had very little with which to provide for my child, but God helped us at every turn. I am here today, because God moves on behalf of His kids and this kid was away from Him at the time. But He still loved us and watched over us and God has given us quite a testimony of His faithfulness to us because of that trial.

The widow at Zarephath was about to have quite a testimony of the faithfulness of God. It tells us in the text just how dire this situation was. She was making the rest of what she had and that was it. She had no more. There was no more to be had. You can be sure that this weighed heavy on this mom; she could not take care of her child; she was going to make this bread and then they would eat it and die; what a helpless feeling.

Now grab your Bible and read I Kings 17:7-16. If you don't have a Bible or can't get to yours you can go here and read it in several different translations. Just pick a transation from the list to your left and put in the book you wish to read. This is a great way to read the Word; you can even pick the KJV with Strong's and it will give you the Hebrew (OT) or Greek (NT) rendering of the word you are looking at.

So I'd like to draw your attention to verses 13-16. Elijah tells the widow first to not be afraid. He knew that she was very afraid. If they were down to the last of their flour and oil I'm sure there had been rationing going on of this oil and flour for sometime, and she knew that it would be running out, so look at what Elijah tells her, "Don't be afraid." I love that. He sets her heart at ease from the beginning.

Now remember back in vs 8 that the LORD tells Elijah to go to Zarephath and stay there because He has commanded (appointed) a widow to supply him with food. The widows heart was already being prepared. And look what she does.

Elijah tells her "the Lord the God of Israel says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain on the land.'"

So look at what the widow does in verse 15, she obeys. She believed what Elijah was telling her was truth and she acts on it and obeys the word and in verse 16 we see that, "the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the Word of hte LORD spoken by Elijah."

So what is this saying to us today? God prepared this widow to receive from Him. He sent His prophet to her to save her and her son. This woman had faith and thus received what God had for her.

So how is your faith today? Has God called you to do something that you haven't stepped out and done yet? Let me encourage you today; take that step of faith. God loves you.

Remember nothing is beyond God. He is God alone and He moves on behalf of His children!! I'm so thankful!!

Have a GREAT Monday!!

Dawn

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being obedient and discussing Elijah and his obedience to God. Right now I am going through a situation where God is asking me to do something, but my flesh really, really, does not want to do it. I'll have to explain later to you, it's too long of a story to post on a comment. Anyways, I know in my heart I must do what God has asked, and I will. But it's good to read about other people who had to be obedient no matter what. I'm sure the widow didn't understand what God was going to do, but she was obedient in getting the jars. Right now I don't understand what God is trying to do, but I must be obedient to him. I've at least learned that in my life.

Thanks for keeping the Word coming to us this summer,
Carrie